One of the projects I am currently working on is a series of travel guidebooks for kids called Planet Explorers. They are packed full of "fun facts" about the different cities and theme parks I'm covering, and I've realized that lately I've started to think in fun facts. I thought I'd share a few about myself for my guest post today.
1. I chose the pen name Avery Sawyer because all my friends loved the name "Avery" and "Sawyer" was the name of one of the main streets in the town where I grew up, Oshkosh. In fact, my childhood home was located on land once owned by the Sawyer family, so the name felt right to me.
2. When I'm writing on paper instead of typing, I make my "a's" like typeface. This started when I was a third grader and wanted my handwriting to look like Stacey's from The Babysitters Club books.
3. The first title for my new novel NOTES TO SELF was 25 THINGS ABOUT ME.
4. I come up with my best book ideas when I'm supposed to be trying to fall asleep at night.
5. I am a cat person. My first cat was named Bogart. My cat now is Ramona. Her superpower is being fluffy and preventing me from accomplishing things.
6. My younger brother is a theme park ride designer.
7. I make really good scones. I learned while writing the sequel to my middle grade novel THE TEASHOP GIRLS. My favorite recipe has both cheese and berries in it.
8. I'm getting married in August.
9. I know how to Lindy Hop. It's a type of swing dance, and it's awesome.
10. I did the cover design for NOTES TO SELF. Here's the cover and the original picture I used for it: